Monday 15 July 2013

Heladería y Chocolatería Can Joan de s’Aigo

Nestled amongst the quaint side streets surrounding Palma Cathedral is where some of the most breath taking architecture, exquisite views and cutest cafeterias can be found. Today I was introduced to something quite unique: the Can Joan de s'Aigo Heladeria y Chocolateria. 


This is not just any old cafe. This is not even any old spanish cafe (that I am also rather partial to, of which you may be well aware), this beautiful cafe is something in a world of its own. As you make your way through the grilled french doors, you find yourself stepping on to the antique ceramic flooring, which instantly tells you that this is somewhere which respects its surroundings and the beloved Mallorquin heritage.

Ceramic floor tiles

The place was heaving, we had to wait to be seated, but this alone shows Can Joan de s'Aigo is somewhere special. Not your average Starbucks or Costa. The wait was appreciated, allowing time to take in the delightful heirlooms and start craving the many cakes, pastries and tarts on display.

I so want this for my room
Drawing of a woman in traditional Mallorquin dress
Which one to choose?
However, be warned, this is not the place for the standard tourist. Only hours before I was discussing with my padre the differences between tourists and travellers. This cafe is certainly only for a traveller wishing to breach upon the culture of the Mallorquines, amongst locals and islanders alike. The menu is in castellano and catalan only, but do not be disheartened as you would not want it any other way.

Castillano
Catalan
With the list of ice creams and sweet treats as enticing as the interior, it was hard to choose. Eventually I settled on the Almond ice cream and cuarto. I am not a big fan of ice creams, yet you could taste this was natural, with flakes of almonds supplementing the light, cloud like texture of the cuarto.



I can't wait to go back, hopefully next time it will be with my mum and sister as I know they would just love it here!

Take Care,
The Learned Rose xx



No comments:

Post a Comment